Fox nuts, popularly known as Makhana, are grown in wetlands and are obtained from the perennial plant, Euryale ferox. These days, Makhana has become a very popular snack. It is crunchy, tasty and healthy to eat. It also has been used as one of the religious seed offered during Pujan and auspicious occasion from the ancient times. Makhana has some amazing health benefits.
1) Makhana is rich in potassium and has less of sodium, thus helps in controlling and maintaining the blood pressure.
2) Makhana is an ideal snack when hungry as it is low in cholesterol, sodium and fats.
3) It contains anti-aging enzymes which help repair damaged proteins.
4) People trying for weight loss should intake Makhana, as they are low in calories and make you feel your tummy full. This will control your intake of high calorie food.
5) Makhana is healthier than dry fruits like cashews, walnuts, as they are fat free.
6) It has astringent properties that benefits in kidney ailment.
7) It helps in treating digestion problems like constipation, as it is rich in fiber.
8) Makhana is good and healthy for heart. Due to the presence of glycosides, the risk of heart strokes reduces. They have low saturated fats and thus is perfect for heart patients.
9) Makhana helps to keep the spleen clean. The spleen cleans up the blood stream by getting rid of dead blood cells.
10) Makhana is said to be very beneficial to improve the fertility rates, in both men and women.
11) Makhana helps slow down the aging process. It has antioxidants, Flavonoids, that fights the free radicals and slows down the aging process.
12) Makhana is a rich source of calcium, which help in maintaining your teeth and bones healthy. It also helps people with joint problems and osteoporosis.